Onward, to the epic homemade telescope inspirations! #@$%^#@!!!!! I have been considering a DIY scope for some time and have thought about doing something very similar to what you’ve designed. I began building it in the spring of 2008, but the bulk of the work was done in July of 2008 with first light occurring on This is the first telescope that I have built. I also doubled the thickness of the rocker sides (not the front wall) to provide better support for the heavier tube. The Dob is really a great design. The arc at the top of the sides needed to have a radius 1/8 inch larger than that of the side bearings to account for the thickness of the teflon pads that would fit between. Contact cement is permanent, so the only solution would be to replace the tube! . the tube is cardboard as well, you can also get a quality mirror at telescope.com for much cheaper. I have several of the books on building a Dobsonian Telescope. I glued the other sides after adjusting their size by hand to get them to fit properly. The side bearings are each made from 2 identical semicircles of 5/8 inch plywood glued together to make a thickness of 1 ¼ inches. My concern turned to alarm when my wife told me that Discovery had charged the balance due on all items to my account a few weeks earlier. 9 years ago I am thankful to enjoy the inspiration, and the details, that you provide, as I will soon be constructing a Dobsonian Telescope. I recently completed the tube of my 8 inches telescope. The build quality is just remarkable. Over how many nights did this photography session take place? I also started to design the baffles using Inkscape. With all these ideas in my head, I started to look for wood to make and octagonal scope. Thank you for posting this. The pieces were cut down to 15 3/8 and 14 3/8, allowing just under 1/8 inch on each side. The cell from Anttler's, for which I had received a refund, had arrived. The email bounced back to me. We then spread contact cement over the remaining veneer and tube surface, waited for the glue to dry, and carefully rolled the tube over the veneer. Participated in the Celestron Space Challenge. on Introduction. To get this arc, I actually moved the radius of the jig in by 1/8 inch. The wood would cost the same, as would pretty much everything except the mirror, so why not spend a little more on the mirror and go BIG. A week later the cell arrived (on schedule) from University Optics. Please explain, in detail, how you attached your tube to the very unique drive system of an XT12G mount. After the pieces were glued together, I used a belt sander to smooth out any rough edges, being careful to keep both rocker sides and both side bearings exactly the same. After waiting for the contact cement to dry to the touch, and with my wife's help, I carefully aligned the edge of the veneer with the guideline on the tube and pressed the first inch together. The 3 baffles closer to the front of the tube where so thin, I had to laser cut them on an Epilog laser cutter at the local hackerspace (Yukonstruct). I did not own all of the tools that I needed for this project, particularly a table saw and router, so I did a lot of work while visiting my Dad. I found out pretty quickly that building my own telescope would only be a bargain if I made my own mirror and mechanical parts. (I didn't have the primary mirror yet). on Step 1, Richards in our local astronomy club. Using this software, I realized it was calculating the position for baffles which are designed to block internal reflection on the tube. 1 -Wrapping Paper Tube Telescope. I added three inches for a margin of error and in case I need to rebalance the tube in the future, making a distance of 25 inches from the balance point of the tube to the rocker bottom. I could see a slight bit of chromatic aberration on Venus but that probably comes from a bad manual collimation. I decided to keep this tube for now and if I run into problems with it, I can replace it later.